Bolívar Network Statement in Solidarity with the AAPI Community and Stand Against White Supremacy
We, the Bolívar Network, stand in solidarity and grief with the Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) and our Asian Latinx community against the increasing violence and racially motivated hate incidents.
Since the start of the pandemic, members of the AAPI community have faced unfound blame for COVID-19 and been victims of senseless harassment and violence. Stop AAPI Hate has received almost 3,800 reports of hate incidents against the AAPI community since the start of the pandemic, the majority of them against women.The horrific shooting in Georgia and the brutal beating in New York are only the latest in a string of ongoing incidents deeply rooted in white supremacy, racism, and misogyny that must be addressed. It’s important we recognize the recent incidents are not isolated but rather part of a long history of prejudice against the AAPI community in the U.S. To honor the lives of the eight murdered individuals, six of which were Asian women, in the Atlanta area, and the many others who have been impacted by anti-Asian hate, we are all called to action.
We demand an end to violence against AAPI communities and invite our Latinx communities and allies into the work of creating a more inclusive society by doing our part to root out racism and systemic oppression by taking action. We must move beyond words to ensure this does not happen again. We cannot wait for the next shooting, the next victims, or the next hate crime to make a change.
Here are a few things we encourage you to do:
- Listen, learn, and support the work of AAPI leaders and communities addressing the challenges
- If you see something – say something
- Share safety tips with friends and family on what to do if encountering or witnessing hate
- Donate to national and local organizations advocating for the AAPI community
- Support AAPI-owned businesses
- Help to share and amplify AAPI voices and information in your networks and on social media channels
To get started, we’ve compiled a short list of organizations and resources:
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Resources to Stand Against Racism
- Teaching Tolerance/Southern Poverty Law Center: How to Respond to Coronavirus Racism
We all deserve a right to live without fear for ourselves, our families, and our loved ones.
The Bolívar Network