The Cavalier Daily Alumni Association Bylaws
(As amended September 28, 1991 by the board of directors of The Cavalier Daily Alumni Association.)
I. Association Membership
1. Full association membership (voting) shall be open to any former staff member of The Cavalier Daily or College Topics who requests that his/her name be placed on the association membership roll. Associate membership (nonvoting) shall be open to any current staff member of The Cavalier Daily. Membership also may be extended to friends of The Cavalier Daily by action of the association board of directors.
2. To be eligible to cast a vote at an association meeting, a prospective member shall be required to have registered his or her name on the association membership roll at least 72 hours prior to that meeting.
3. The executive director shall be responsible for maintaining the association membership roll.
1. The board of directors shall hold an annual meeting, the time and place to be determined by the executive committee, but generally to be scheduled for the last Saturday in April.
2. Whenever it may be deemed necessary, the executive committee may call a special meeting of the board of directors at the request of the president, a member of the board of directors or a petition containing the signatures of at least 15 percent of the association membership.
3. Except in cases of emergency, at least three day’s notice shall be given of an association meeting.
III. Parliamentary Proceedings
1. Proceedings of board of directors’ meetings shall be as prescribed by Robert’s Rules of Order except where those rules are inconsistent with the association constitution and bylaws.
1. Four standing committees (communication, events, futures and fund raising) shall serve in an advisory role to the board of directors.
2. The events committee may consider proposals for organizing events and projects for the benefit of the members of the association; the futures committee may consider proposals regarding the future directions and goals of the association; the fund raising committee may consider proposals for raising funds for the association; and the communications committee may consider proposals for promoting communications among Cavalier Daily and College Topics alumni.
3. Members of the standing committees shall be appointed by the board of directors and may be either association directors or from the association general membership. The president and executive director shall be ex officio members of each standing committee.
4. The board of directors also may establish special committees for specific assignments.
V. Fund Raising
1. As provided for in an agreement with the Alumni Association of the University of Virginia, The Cavalier Daily Alumni Association shall conduct its fund raising activities under the auspices of the University Alumni Association. Contributions solicited by The Cavalier Daily Alumni Association shall be made to the University of Virginia Fund and credited to The Cavalier Daily Account therein.
2. Any disbursements from The Cavalier Daily Account shall require the approval of the executive committee. Only the president, or, in his/her absence, the treasurer, shall be authorized – with the approval of the executive committee – to direct the University Alumni Association to make a disbursement from The Cavalier Daily Account.
VI. Amendment of Bylaws
1. A vote of 2/3 of the board of directors present and voting shall be required to amend the bylaws.