The Yeardley Love Endowment Scholarship Application 2018
The chapter, alumnae and friends created The Yeardley Love Endowment Scholarship for initiated Delta Chi sisters to remember Yeardley’s life and honor her character and involvement in the University. Initiated members of the Delta Chi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta may apply for The Yeardley Love Endowment Fund Scholarship. New members of the Delta Chi Chapter may also apply, provided they are initiated by the application deadline.
The award must be used toward academic expenses, including tuition, room, board, books and course-related fees for undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Unused scholarship dollars must be returned to The Yeardley Love Endowment and cannot be held by the recipient for future academic study.
Up to $5,000 is available to fund The Yeardley Love Endowment Scholarships and Grants during the 2018-19 academic year.
Applications must be submitted no later than midnight, Friday, March 30, 2018. The committee will notify the winner(s) before April 28, 2018.
Answer the following questions and then upload as a Word document or PDF below
Answer the following using 300-500 words for each question:
- What “three things” would you LOVE to see in your future?
- Why do you LOVE the University of Virginia? Describe what makes UVA so special to you.
- Why do you LOVE being a member of Delta Chi? One of Kappa Alpha Theta’s four founders, Bettie Locke Hamilton, was among the first group of women admitted to Indiana Asbury, now known as DePauw University. When describing their admission to the school, Bettie said, “[W]e realized somehow that we weren’t going to college just for ourselves, but for all the girls who could follow after us—if we could just win out.” Also, describe your role in this tradition of succeeding not just for your own benefit, but for the Thetas who will “follow after” you.
Answer the following using 150-200 words for each question:
- Describe a challenge or obstacle that you faced and how you overcame it.
- Discuss your service to the University, Delta Chi and/or the Charlottesville community.
Privacy Statement – by submitting this application you understand that individuals on the selection committee, who may or may not be current members of the University community, will have access to this information.