From the Director,
I/we are excited to start the 43rd season of the Chorus and are off to a roaring start! The Managing Board and I are busy planning our second annual “Women Against Violence” benefit concert which will take place Saturday, October 14, in Old Cabell Hall (OCH)at 8PM. In light of the recent events in the University and Charlottesville communities, the theme this year is Let There Be Peace. Proceeds will go to the Heal Charlottesville fund. Visit the Chorus’ website for more information. I have arranged a special selection for the Chorus for this event and they sound exquisitely beautiful already. Listen to “Til It Happens to You” from our first WAV concert. We hope you’ll join us!
The Family Weekend Concert will take place Friday, November 3, in OCH at 8 PM. We will be joining the Virginia Glee Club, the University Singers and the Chamber Singers. Come join us!
A Ceremony of Carols by Benjamin Britten will be featured in our Candlelight Concerts in the Chapel. We are thrilled to be sharing this classic, accompanied by professional harpist, Anastasia Jellison. These concerts fill rapidly and because of limited seating, we encourage you to secure your tickets early. They will take place Friday, December 1, at 8 PM, and Saturday, December 2, at 1 PM. See and hear VWC sing Stille Nacht here.
Concert Schedule 2017[table id=5 /]
Tickets for concerts in OCH may be purchased through the Arts Box Office.
We love connecting with you and hope to see you soon!
Tribute to Claudia Fletcher, Chair of our Alumnae Interest Group (AIG), 2009-2017
I would like to give special acknowledgment and appreciation to Claudia Fletcher, who has served as the Chairwoman for 8 years. With her light-hearted spirit and contagious friendliness, and with a healthy dose of collaborative planning and optimism, she has led us through our beginning stages. She gave us direction, while also taking into consideration each person’s desires. Here are just a few of the things she has contributed besides her awesome leadership:
- Attended almost all of the VWC concerts, making the trek from NoVa
- Donated generously to the VWC operating expenses fund year after year
- Was a part of our Anniversary Concerts and Connections Concert with her lovely presence/voice
- Led numerous AIG meetings and patiently “herded cats” with our meandering conversations
- Hosted many receptions herself – homecoming and UVA reunions – without reimbursement
- Gave personal gifts to graduating members of VWC
- Generously gave her money and time to the VWC storage account and schlepped music when we moved our library
- Encouraged the VWC reps on the AIG Board, giving incredible support to their leadership development
- Currently housing some of VWC’s music and black sweaters (!)
- Always been willing to offer a helping hand whenever we asked
Claudia has gone above and beyond – always with a smile – and I’m looking forward to her continuing as a member at large.