The Bolívar Network Book Scholarship
The Bolívar Network (BN), also known as La Red Bolívar, was founded at the University of Virginia (UVA) in 1997. Our mission as alumni is to connect and foster the UVA familia.
The BN Book Scholarship was first established in 2004 to support the educational endeavors of undergraduate Latinx/Hispanic students attending UVA and defray the high cost of textbooks. By establishing the Book Scholarship, the BN seeks to acknowledge the intellectual, political, and social contributions that Hispanic/Latinx students make to the University community and to encourage their ongoing participation and efforts to strengthen the community, both on- and off-Grounds. The Book Scholarship has been given to current UVa Latinx students who stand out in the following areas both on and off Grounds:
- Academic Achievement, Interests, and Results
- Latinx/Hispanic/Latin American Impact
University of Virginia undergraduate students, who are currently enrolled full time and in good standing, must meet the following criteria to apply for the scholarship:
- Only students graduating in Spring 2022 or later are eligible to apply.
- At least one parent of the applicant must be Latinx/Hispanic/Latin American. Latinx origin is defined through a person’s heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person’s parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States (definition from the U.S. Census). Applicants from Brazil, Haiti and other Caribbean islands, Spain, and Portugal are eligible for this award.
- The Bolívar Network Scholarship Committee recommends that applicants have at least a 3.0 GPA. However, the Committee will consider candidates with lower GPAs who demonstrate exceptional involvement in extracurricular activities.
If you are interested in being a part of the Scholarship Committee, being a part of the Scoring Committee, or donating to the Scholarship Fund, please email Hannah “Mel” Borja. If you would like to contribute to the Book Scholarship please donate here.