Serpentine Society Vision Statement
We, the Serpentine Society of the University of Virginia, are an inclusive alumni/ae organization dedicated to reaching out to and advocating for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) UVA alumni/ae, faculty, and students by connecting to each other and to the University.
To provide educational, charitable, and social welfare services for, on behalf of, and in furtherance of the interests of the University of Virginia and its LGBTQ alumni, students, faculty, and staff.
- Nurture and grow mutually-beneficial relationships with the University of Virginia and its ten schools; the University of Virginia Alumni Association; LGBTQ student, faculty and staff organizations; academic and student life units on Grounds; LGBTQ organizations in Charlottesville; and other LGBTQ alumni groups at colleges and universities in Virginia.
- Establish and grow local chapters nationally, in partnership with the University’s Office of Engagement and the Alumni Association.
- Annually produce our signature event, the Serpentine Society Fall Weekend and Awards Gala, to honor outstanding achievements in service to the University and the LGBTQ community.
- Annually organize a panel discussion, followed by a reception, for LGBTQ and allied alumni during Reunions Weekend in June.
- Support the identification, recruitment, and retention of LGBTQ students while providing a fundraising vehicle for scholarships for new and current students.
- Provide social and career networking for alumni and students.
- Pursue Equality: From its inception, the Serpentine Society has advocated for and contributed significantly to the advancement of LGBTQ equality at the University, including the recently won same-sex domestic partner benefits for faculty and staff and the inclusion of gender identity in the University’s non-discrimination policy.
- Enrich LGBTQ Student Life: Through ongoing grant support, we provide program funding to the LGBTQ Center and queer student organizations on Grounds enabling them to deliver programs and services with a margin of excellence.
- Empower Promising Students: Presently, we administer two endowed scholarship funds, The Jeffrey L. Reider & Charles F. Otis Endowed Scholarship and the John A. Herring Scholarship Award for Social Awareness. Now, these funds collectively award three $5,000 scholarships annually to promising LGBTQ and allied students, helping them achieve their full academic and leadership potential.
- Invest in LGBTQ Studies: We partner with the Women, Gender, and Sexuality program of the College & Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and the College Foundation to raise funds in support of the LGBTQ Studies curriculum and faculty development.
Our Relationship with the Alumni Association
The Serpentine Society is an Alumni Interest Group (AIG) of the University of Virginia Alumni Association. Alumni Interest Groups (AIGs) are communities of alumni that have built a tie or bond to each other as part of the University experience.
The AIG program offers UVA alumni, family, and friends opportunities to engage in the life of the University in Charlottesville and as well as regions across the country. These groups are volunteer organizations dedicated to celebrating connections, providing enrichment, and continuing UVA’s tradition of service.
Any amount donated to The Serpentine Society or paid above the individual cost of an event is tax deductible. The Alumni Association will issue receipts to donors on the Serpentine Society’s behalf.