The Founding of Xi Chapter
The Xi Chapter of Theta Chi was founded at the University of Virginia on January 26, 1914.
The Eta Pi Rho Fraternity, that later became Xi Chapter, was established by seven members at the University of Virginia in 1913. The man most instrumental in starting the fraternity was W. P. Hazlegrove, a transfer from Hampden-Sydney College and a member of the local fraternity there, Delta Delta, which later became the Nu Chapter of Theta Chi..
On April 7, 1913, a petition by Eta Pi Rho, signed by William A. Adams, L. L. Miller, G. E. Gwinn, T. E. Didlake, L. G. Burton, R. Guy Leebrick, S. M. Jett Jr., was presented to the Grand Chapter of Theta Chi for a charter.
The petition was granted, and the installation of Xi Chapter was held January 25, 1914, immediately following the installation of Nu Chapter at Hampden-Sydney College. The installation committee was composed of: Dr. Robert L. Irish, Edwin D. Huntley and E. Wesson Clark.
In the fall of 1968, Theta Chi Xi chapter moved from Carr’s Hill to 600 Preston Place, its current residence. Renovations to the house were completed in 2013.