We are still reminiscing about the first-ever Juntos event on Grounds hosted by the University of Virginia Alumni Association! Thanks to all of the alumni and students that gathered in Charlottesville this April to reconnect with each other and the broader UVA community. We can not wait to do it again!
We also want to congratulate our Class of 2023 graduates! You all worked hard to get to this finish line, but now you move on to the next phase: UVA alumni! The Bolívar Network is excited to support you in your next adventures, and our community of alumni wants to see you succeed beyond your time at UVA.
Our alumni community is growing, and we are looking for new members to join the Bolívar Network Board! In this newsletter you will find more information on how to apply, including submitting an application by Wednesday, July 12, and details on an upcoming information session to learn more about how you can contribute. Please let us know if you have any questions and we look forward to welcoming you all to the Bolívar Network!
This past April, in partnership and collaboration with the Alumni Association, an alumni steering committee, and 15+ University partners, we welcomed alumni back to Grounds for the inaugural Juntos: A Gathering for Hispanic and Latinx UVA alumni. The weekend consisted of a slate of events featuring panels, receptions, and social events on Grounds which brought many opportunities for connection among alumni, students and the UVA community. If you missed the event or would like to relive some of the highlights, we hope you’ll take a moment to view the official Juntos photos, and explore the UVA Library’s Bolívar Collection.
Watch the Juntos Keynote Session Reflections: The Power of Storytelling in the Latinx Community
Learn about the Latinx Oral Histories Initiative at UVA, followed by a panel discussion led by Kayla Dunn (Col ’20) discussing the importance of sharing and collecting stories of the community and future implications for enacting change.
UVA Latinx and Hispanic Recruitment and Retention Overview
Wednesday, June 14 at 7 p.m. ET
Interested in learning about what the Hispanic and Latinx makeup looks like on Grounds today and the University’s recruitment efforts of this student population? Join Catrina Garland, Assistant Dean of Outreach in the UVA Office of Undergraduate Admission, and Sarah Waller (Col ’10), Director of College Compass for an overview of recruitment and retention efforts for Hispanic and Latinx students. Register today!
Apply to join the Bolívar Network Board!
Are you a recent graduate or an alumnus looking to get involved with Hispanic and Latinx alumni from UVA? The Bolívar Network is a volunteer-based board with a variety of committees and positions including:
• Alumni Community Engagement
• Social Media and Communications
• Fundraising and Development
• Graduate Student Development
• Professional Development
• Scholarships and Awards
• Undergraduate Student Engagement
- “I have absolutely loved my 3 years as Vice-Chair for Scholarships & Awards. I actually received the Bolívar Network Book Scholarship as an undergraduate student, so I already knew firsthand how impactful our programs can be before I joined the Bolívar Network team. But since joining, it’s been incredibly heartwarming to see how we have been able to motivate and connect both students and alumni through our programming. Scholarships and awards can be a powerful way to showcase and elevate the value of Bolívar Network.” – Hannah (Mel) Borja (Col ’19)
- “Serving on the Bolívar Network Board for the last 3 years is an experience that I have cherished and will fondly remember. Building community was integral to our time on Grounds, so helping to foster an alumni community has been incredibly meaningful as we have created new friendships, supported undergrad students, and helped many transition from UVA to their next great opportunity.” – Brian Zuluaga (Batten ’20)
- “Being a part of the Bolívar Network Board for the past 3 years has been one of my favorite activities post-grad. Through my role as Vice-Chair for Social Media and Communications, I’ve been able to build out our communication outlets to amplify the incredible things our alumni have been up to, bridge Bolívar Network programming with undergraduate students, and foster meaningful relationships with the UVA and Charlottesville community and beyond.” – Mariana Brazão (Col ’19)
If you’re interested in learning more about the Bolívar Network Board and ways to get involved, please join us for a virtual open information session on Wednesday, June 28 at 5:30 PM ET. Applications are open until Wednesday, July 12 by 5 PM ET. You can also learn more about the Bolívar Network history and Board structure on our website.
Scholarships and Awards
We are pleased to announce that the 2023 First-Year Scholarship Recipient is Arceli Soto Constancio. Originally from Northern Virginia, Araceli has done everything in her power – both inside and outside of the classroom – to make her community more inclusive. While in school, she created an English tutoring program for speakers of other languages (ESOL) and worked to raise awareness about the struggles posed by language barriers. She will start at the University in the Fall of 2023. Please join us in congratulating Arceli and welcoming her to Grounds this Fall!