Wahoo Rowing Camp for 2021 is a GO
Sunday, April 18, 2021
Dear Campers and Parents,
We are excited to announce that we have received confirmation from the Blued Ridge School (our overnight host) that this year’s camps are a GO. We will update our page very soon and also provide you with a pre-registration link. Initially, no deposits are required until later this spring.
The following weeks will be offered:
Week 1 (Monday, July 5 to Friday, July 9) $925
Week 2 (Sunday, July 11 to Friday, July 16) $1,150
Week 3 (Sunday, July 18 to Friday, July 23) $1,150
“I highly recommend the Wahoo Rowing Camp. My rowers enjoyed their experience, increased their skills, and came back eager to continue improving on what they learned.”
Men’s Varsity Coach
Capital City Rowing
Our approach to teaching the athletes is unique among summer rowing camps.
We make no attempt to duplicate a typical high school (or college) training regimen. Instead we spend camp time delving into the minutiae of effective training in a way that most high school programs simply cannot, due to time and other constraints.
Every athlete will learn the differences between:
- Rowing a seat in a shell versus becoming a true boat mover
- Being a participant at team practices versus becoming a true athlete who is deeply invested in his physiological, technical, and mental progress
“Our son got a tremendous amount out of the camp, and I can’t thank you and the rest of the staff enough. He is passionate about rowing, and I’m sure it’s the best thing that has happened to him.”
-Parent of a Camper
- Camp size is limited to 20 athletes in order to ensure a good athlete-to-coach ratio and to provide as individualized a program as possible.
- Each athlete’s development is equally important to the coaches, regardless of the camper’s age, size, current abilities, or potential.
- Each athlete will row both sweep and sculling shells, often get the chance to choose the actual boat they’ll row at each practice.
- Land-based, age-appropriate mobility and strength training. We’ll identify—and begin correcting—common muscular problems such as reciprocal inhibition, synergistic dominance, and asymmetry. The training will improve proprioception, balance, and muscular symmetry.
- Athletes will learn ways to approach their training intentionally and mindfully to get the best out of their mental performance, as well as how to process racing/training experiences effectively.
- We’ll significantly improve ergometer technique in order to reap the most benefits from land workouts.
- Athletes will learn the basic biomechanics of rowing and the physics of the rowing shell
- Campers will have the opportunity to really take time to learn skills, to appreciate oarsmanship as well as to see their sport from a different angle.
“I recently practiced with my coach back home, and my stroke is greatly improved in his eyes. I had a great time practicing with you, and I look forward to keeping in touch throughout the rest of my high school career, and into college.”
Camps are held at the home of Virginia Rowing. Address is 276 Woodlands Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22901.
“The Wahoo Rowing Camp at UVa is the perfect environment for our rowers to improve their sculling and sweeping skills, and to grow as oarsmen. Over 90% of the rowers we’ve sent have gone on to row in our varsity crews. WRC is the first sculling/sweeping camp we recommend when a parent or oarsman asks about getting significant development during the summer.”
St. Joseph’s Prep Rowing
Wahoo Rowing Camp is coached by the Virginia Men’s Rowing Staff.
Our home base is the Blue Ridge School located just outside of Charlottesville at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah National Park. Their picturesque campus provides us with top notch accommodations and dining facilities.
Campers will be sharing dorm-style rooms with round-the-clock supervision from camp counselors. We can accommodate rooming requests as well as any dietary restrictions; please just let us know!
“My son felt that you made his rowing make sense, and he improved dramatically after his week with you. He even shared pointers and tips that he learned from you with his coaches—and they implemented them!”– Parent of a camper
Wahoo Rowing Camp can provide transportation to and from the Charlottesville Airport, train station, or bus station. We provide all transportation during camp to and from the boathouse for each practice (certified Blue Ridge School staff drivers).
REGISTRATION AND COST
Camp fee includes coaching, housing, meals, transportation, and dorm supervision.
“My son loved the Wahoo summer camp! He never truly understood all the mechanics of how he was being told to row back home. He spent the entire 3 hr. drive home after WRC explaining everything to me—which muscles were most important, why and when you engage certain [muscle groups], how a rower prepares mentally to row, etc.
He also appreciated that the coaches clearly were interested in helping every kid get better—not in cherry picking the best rowers for special attention. And I found you all really personable and easy to work with, answering questions quickly when we registered. We’ll be back for sure.” -Parent of a Camper
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!