Murphy Cup 2018

The team traveled with five eights to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for the first regatta of the year. Amid a myriad of construction, a strong headwind, and rough water conditions the Hoos got to work at the 36th Memorial Murphy Cup Regatta hosted by Temple University.

Alan Kush checking over the rigging


Novice Eights (4th & 6th of 11)

Two novice eights kicked off racing for the day, as well their very first collegiate sprint race, with the top 3 from each heat progressing to finals. Our B entry qualified in the first heat with a time of 6:30.15 behind Drexel and Michigan A and over Michigan C, USMMA, and Rochester. Our A entry was awarded first place in the second heat with a time of 6:11.69 over Temple’s 6:05.57, because they cut the buoy at the turn. Michigan B took the third qualifying spot over Army.

In the final, Drexel and Temple took 1st and 2nd respectively, and Michigan A edged out our A boat out of third place by a quarter of second. Our A boat finished with a time of 6:47.71. Michigan’s B boat finished next and our B boat rounded out the field with a time of 7:18.07. While it wasn’t a top finish, the rookies did a great job learning the ropes of how spring racing works and look forward to improving their results in the future.

Third Varsity Eight (6th of 9)

The 3V qualified for the final with a third place finish in their heat behind St. Joe’s and Michigan A with a time of 6:17.86. The stronger afternoon winds were not on their side during the final; they were bested by the field and finished with a time of 7:04.46.

JV Eight (4th of 12)

The JV Eight won their heat with a time of 5:59.99 over Marist, Army, and LaSalle. In the grand final they placed 4th behind St. Joe’s, Drexel, Michigan and ahead of Temple and Marist with a time of 6:41.70.

Varsity Eight (4th of 16)

The V8 took second behind Marist in their heat with a time of 6:08.61. In the final the rough conditions got the best of them as they were walking on St. Joe’s in the second half of the race; they suffered a gut-wrenching digger and the boat was dead in the water for well over 12 seconds. Despite this only Drexel and Marist managed to pass them, so they took home fourth over Temple and Army.

Overall it was some great early spring racing, complete with wild Schuylkill conditions and a turn to boot. It was great experience to have some competition and to row in rougher conditions than we ever see at home on the Rivanna.

We will return to Philly to race in the Kerr Cup on April 14th, hope to see you there!